HOW TO GET TO RIJEKA
Arrival in Rijeka is possible by bus, car or airplane. Here are the most popular options:
Rijeka is central to a number of international airports in Croatia and bordering countries. Many either offer shuttle services to the Rijeka city centre (generally with a set timetable and for a fee), or a service to their nearest main bus terminal, from which an additional bus can be taken to Rijeka.
The best airports from which to reach Rijeka are:
- Zagreb Airport, Croatia (ZAG): Approximately 170km from Rijeka. There is a daily shuttle to Rijeka at 15:30 and a return shuttle at 05:00. Additionally offers shuttle to Zagreb Bus Terminal with more frequent bus connections to Rijeka.
- Ljubljana Airport, Slovenia (LJU): Approximately 140km from Rijeka. Shuttle available from airport to Ljubljana city centre with connection to Rijeka.
- Venice Marco Polo Airport, Italy (VCE): Approximately 220km from Rijeka. Shuttle available from airport to Venice city centre with connection to Rijeka.
These three airports (ZAG, LJU, and VCE) have daily flights from all major European airports, and are therefore the recommended options. However, additional options include:
- Rijeka Airport, Croatia (RJK): Just under 30km from Rijeka. Offers direct shuttle to Rijeka city centre, also has taxi and rental car services. Peak seasonal air travel is during the summer, so more flights may be available.
- Pula Airport, Croatia (PUY): Approximately 100km from Rijeka. Shuttle available to Pula city centre with connection to Rijeka. Peak seasonal air travel is during the summer, so more flights may be available.
- Trieste Airport, Italy (TRS): Approximately 110km from Rijeka. Shuttle available from airport to Trieste city centre with connection to Rijeka.
- Venice Treviso Airport, Italy (TSF): Approximately 220km from Rijeka. Shuttle available to Venice city centre with connection to Rijeka.
Transport to and from the airport by car, van, or minibus may also be arranged with the Olivari Travel Agency. For additional information and reservations, please contact email@example.com or +385 91 2850 444.
For those traveling to Rijeka from within Europe, the bus is the most practical and cost-effective way to access the city. The main bus station in Rijeka is Žabica, located in the city centre. From there, all conference venues and accommodation are easily accessible via public transportation or taxi.
Rijeka can easily be reached by highway from most major European cities. There are several public car parks available within the city: these usually charge at least a 6 kuna (1 euro) hourly parking rate, though long-term parking is available at select locations.
Traveling to Rijeka by train is extremely slow (5 hours from Zagreb to Rijeka) and is not recommended.
GETTING AROUND THE CITY
One of the most flexible and convenient ways to navigate the city is by taxi, of which there are a number of available options. The three taxi stands in the city centre are located at the bus station (Žabica), on Jelačić Square, and at the train station.
The price of a taxi ride within the city is approximately 25-40 kuna (4-6 euros)
List of taxi companies with prices
If preferred, Uber is also a reliable means of transport within Rijeka.
For transport of 5 or more people, Olivari Travel Agency offers car, van, and minibus services, which can be reserved at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +385 91 2850 444.
Rijeka has an extensive network of local buses connecting the city and the surrounding area.
Tickets can be bought on board from the bus driver (10kn one way, or about 1.50 euros), or they may be purchased at kiosks and Autotrolej sales points.
Daily and weekly tickets are available for 20kn (3 euros) and 80kn (12 euros) respectively.
You can find a map of the bus network here